Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Help You, Help Me

I am always interested in bargains (who isn't?)! I thought it would be fun to share some of the ways I have found discounts. Maybe you could help me with things that are working for you! Some of these things (if not all) on the list are probably already known, but I think they bear repeating.

1. Thrift stores and consignment stores: great for kids clothes! Kids grow so quickly that many donated items show little to no wear. I also love to find 100% wool sweaters for my craft projects. It's hard to find specific houseware items on each, but it can be helpful to keep a running list of things for which to browse the shelves. Currently, my mom is helping me keep an eye out for a large kettle in which I can dye wool.

2. Junk shops/Variety shops/Antique shops: worth popping in to glance around. Recently I have found a gold mine of sock yarn at a variety shop! Skeins and skeins of yarn were included in an estate, so now the shop owners need to move the merchandise. Score! On top of that, the shop owner is allergic to wool; so she doesn't even care for the yarn I'm using. We have found several kids' toys at antique shops. The toys were not antique - more along the lines of vintage. Antique stores generally will come down in the labeled price.

3. Auctions: Big Fish LOVES auctions. Last weekend he came home with golf clubs, a bucket of golf balls, and a box with at least 30 plastic horses for the kids. He paid $20. The golf stuff is for an upcoming work outing; we are glad he doesn't have to rent clubs! Auctions are listed in the newspaper or online for your area. Many times the event location will open early for previewing; you can decided if there is anything you would be interested in. We have bought furniture at auctions including an antique secretary we have in our living room.

4. Yard sales: 'tis the season (almost)!

5. There are many online options such as c*raigslist and f*reecycle that have all kinds of things for sale or free.

Well, these are just a few ideas that I hope can help you. My husband and I sure like to find bargains, so please share anything that works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to hear from you; comment away!