Monday, March 14, 2011

The Week of Beginning Projects!

Knowing that we did not have a lot of appointments or calendar items scheduled this week, I asked Big Fish on what kinds of projects I should focus here at home.

Here's the list: order chicks, gather supplies for our honeybees, and (if the weather cooperates) try a first batch of soap!

We are hoping to add some laying hens to our backyard. Through some research, we are almost positive that we want to try the Golden Comet variety. These chickens are supposed to be good layers and fairly calm birds (keeping the safety of the kids in mind). I just stumbled upon this blog last night - seems to have some good resources and advice in her chicken category.

We are awaiting news from a local bee supplier to see if he has any bees for us. If not we will order some online soon. We have been watching some DVD's and doing some reading in preparation for 2 hives.

Lastly, the soapmaking process has been all about collecting materials. I've found that the sodium hydroxide (lye) used in the "recipe" is not as readily available in local stores. I'm awaiting my shipment of a couple of pounds this week, but let me know if you have some great tips in this area!

So, you're here for the beginning, folks. Here is your opportunity to read this blog, shake your head, and wonder what in the world we're doing! Or, you could offer as much advice as you can! I would love to hear how you do it; where you find supplies; and anything else!

Here's to a fun spring!

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is: JEALOUS! :D You'll have to take pix of your chicks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to hear from you; comment away!